Police drop rape investigation into Conservative MP and ex-minister


THE investigation into a Conservative MP and ex-minister arrested after a woman accused him of rape has been dropped, police have confirmed.

The Metropolitan Police said they received allegations of sexual offences and assault relating to four separate incidents at addresses in London, including in Westminster, between July last year and January this year.

That was reported to the force in July and an unnamed man was arrested the following day on suspicion of rape.

He was taken into custody at an east London police station before later being released on bail.

Now the force says no further action will be taken.

A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman said: “Following a thorough investigation, and based on all evidence made available to officers, the decision was taken that the case did not meet the evidential test and no further action will be taken.

“The complainant has been made aware of the decision.”

The man, who the Sunday Times reported has been carrying out parliamentary duties from home since his arrest, has been told of the police decision.

The alleged victim told the paper she intends to appeal against the decision under the Victims’ Right to Review Scheme.

The day after the man’s arrest, Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick said he did not know the name of the MP.

Jenrick added that parliament “needs to be” a safe environment for young women to work in.

He told Times Radio: “There has clearly been some very difficult allegations and cases in recent years.

“We need to make sure, like any other workplace, it is one that’s fit for everybody, where everybody feels safe and comfortable working, and when allegations are raised they are treated with the seriousness they deserve.”

Asked whether he wanted to see the Tory whip removed from the MP under police investigation, Jenrick said: “We need to take allegations of this nature very seriously and I’m confident that the party is, and will do.”

Numerous reports in the Sunday papers in August said the allegations were raised with Tory chief whip Mark Spencer, and the complainant also spoke to him, but no action was taken.

The PA news agency understands that Spencer advised her to make a formal complaint to authorities.

A spokesman for Spencer said: “The chief whip takes all allegations of harassment and abuse extremely seriously and has strongly encouraged anybody who has approached him to contact the appropriate authorities, including parliament’s independent complaints and grievance scheme, which can formally carry out independent and confidential investigations.”

A Conservative Party spokesman said: “We take all allegations of this nature extremely seriously. As this matter is now in the hands of the police it would be inappropriate to comment further.”

The investigation came days after former Tory MP Charlie Elphicke was convicted at Southwark Crown Court in a separate case of sexually assaulting two women, one of whom was a parliamentary worker.

He was sentenced to two years imprisonment.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *